Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Seeds success...and otherwise!

This seed swapping business is so much fun! I had a pack through in the post from a lady in Scotland yesterday with about 8 half packets of seed – including a dozen F1 sweetcorn seeds which will form the basis of our ‘3 sisters’ bed along with some (as yet undecided) climbing beans, and our carnival squash.

The 3 sisters bed is a planting scheme that I picked up from the Grow Your Own Veg TV programme whereby you grow a block of sweetcorn along with climbing beans & squash growing underneath.

It’s from the native American Indians and is all very symbiotic – the beans feed the ground, the squash smothers the weeds & the sweetcorn provides the support for the beans. Although it’s a lovely idea, it does b*gger up the rotation, so I’ll use the land by the seedbed for this, I think.

I’m having mixed success with my indoor seed sowings – the cauliflower seeds which I sowed in jiffys in January are about 8” tall with just two tiny little seed leaves perched at the top end, and are – predictably – falling over as they are far too leggy. I’ve sowed some more seed in the jiffys & tried to increase the light levels by stacking all my furniture up under the Velux & perching the seed tray on top of the heap.

I’ve put the salad leaves trough up there too – funny, it seems really bright in the room, & not too hot – but although they look better than the cauliflower, they are quite tall too. Perhaps they just went in far too early - we shall see.

However, I’m having TREMENDOUS success with the pea shoots on the kitchen windowsill! After 10 days they are all sturdy little soldiers about 3” tall – & given my lack of anything going on seed-wise at the Hill, it’s quite tempting to plant them out rather than eat them!

It’s warm again this week – about 10 degrees – but wet today, but the days are getting appreciably longer – it’s dusk at about 6pm now, so not too long before I can nip to the Hill for a while after work!

It’s March when the less impatient of us get going, I’m told – but I am itching to get the first lot of potatoes in, as well as the onions & all these lovely seeds to be sown......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...