Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Countdown to the big day...

Goodness me, I can hardly bear the suspense!

It’s the Hill show tomorrow & due to a prior engagement I could only nip to the Hill this morning to drop in the entry form.

I’ve now got a marble cake to be proud of (at last – I had four bloody goes at it!), & the beetroot, carrot & runner beans are all entered.

I’d planned to pick the runners in the morning so they would be really fresh, but Reg-next-plot & Barry both drew a sharp intake of breath at this news – apparently you pick them the day before, & store in damp newspaper (‘bound up tight with a couple of short canes – makes ‘em straight’ winked Reg).

So in the dusk tonight I’ve picked a carrier bag full & sorted out 16 likely candidates – couldn’t make my mind up beyond that – so all 16 are swaddled tightly in damp newspaper in the bottom of the fridge (hope that’s ok – forgot to ask where to keep them overnight!)

In the morning go down & pick, scrub & trim 3 beetroot, & pick enough carrots to get 3 nice even ones for scrubbing & trimming (probably all of them, then!). I’ll pick mum & her sponge cake up & the marble cake & we’ll go & ‘stage the exhibits!’

Judging is at 2 till 4.30pm, so we’ll go back with baited breath to see how we’ve got on….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...