Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Friday, December 14, 2007

Happiness is a seed catalogue!

Well, winter draws on, as they say! We’ve had four really good frosts in a row this week, & today has been really cold & damp through the day too.

All terribly good for the plot in the scheme of things, but I don’t feel overly inclined to spend a great deal of time at the Hill in this weather, so on Saturday morning I rebuilt Belinda Scarecrow. I was very satisfied with the outcome – skirt & all – that is, apart from her head.

I’m not entirely sure about what’s gone wrong here – she looks like she is wearing a pillowcase over her head. Now, I know that she IS wearing a pillowcase over her head, but I was hoping that it would look more head-like & less pillowcase-like, somehow. Perhaps I should look into giving her hair/a hat/a headscarf, or something. Hmm.

Once at the Hill, apart from knocking Belinda over the head with a brick a few times to stand her up, I pulled PARSNIP (white gem), a few LEEKS (Mrs D), a couple of PAK CHOI & picked some KALE (alice).

I actually had a few CARROTS too – well, me & the carrot fly, that is. Out of the eight that I pulled, there was only enough actual unmolested carrot left for one portion. Note for next year: must try harder!

I can always rely on the GYO grapevine forum to cheer me up – such a wonderful group of veg growers – & this week they did me proud. As I was ‘member of the month’ in October, the prize was a ‘goodie box’ which the postman delivered this week! Of course it’s always a treat to get presents, but to be rewarded for doing something so enjoyable is fabulous!

More good news with the arrival of the Heritage Seed Library catalogue through the post – I’m looking forward to selecting my six varieties of seed for growing next year. Homework for this week is to work out a plan whereby I can leave some of each crop for seed collection too…

1 comment:

  1. I think Belinda is rather glamorous! I saw a fab idea for scarecrow 'hair' yesterday - a pot of chives!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...