Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Monday, November 03, 2008

Carrot Catastrophe!

In the shops, one of the cheapest veg is carrots, which would imply that Mr Farmer has no difficulty whatsoever in growing fields & fields of them. For some reason, Mr Farmer – who has fields & fields of carrots – does not have any carrot fly.

Why not?

Because he has damn well sent all them all round to me to ruin any hopes that I may have of a decent crop. I sowed a whole packet of ‘Flyaway’ in August – which should have avoided carrot fly anyway – & after I planted out the wallflowers yesterday, I thought that I would dig some up for my tea.

No chance – finger sized only, & still eaten by the bloody carrot fly.

I love carrots – they are one of the nicest veg. Boo.

So it's back to the drawing board for next year...

5 comments:

  1. KK says, the reason Mr Farmer hasn't got carrot fly is 'cause he sprays his field with chemicals!! Keep trying sweets and when you get a fly free specimen, let it go to seed - otherwise (and I say this with all the love in the world) give up and just buy said carrots from said farmer xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only time I've ever had decent carrots is when I grew them in big pots on the greenhouse staging. They were in fine compost, so no forking - and they were high enough up to give the carrot fly wing-ache long before they got there. I grew them so our grand-daughter could pick them at finger size. I really should do more but it seem such a faff when I want the staging for chillies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right - I will shamlessly steal Wellie's idea, & I am now scouting round for an old table that I can erect boards round, then fill with compost & grow the carrots in there.

    I'll have to do it at the Hill - if I have such a contraption at home, I'm sure that it will prove to be irresistable to the cats.

    I will not be beaten on this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer Hazel :(
    I forgot to put the Enviromesh back over mine and they all got ruined by the little blighters too. The ones I grew in a flower bucket were lovely, but like Flum I only did one lot - too much faff!

    If you get half an hour spare, have a look in your Yellow Pages for someone who sells/imports marble fireplaces - they are shipped in really big wooden crates which make fab carrot troughs!
    Better luck next year ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good idea, Sarah - thanks for the tip!

    We have a fireplace shop not far away - I'll have to see what they can let me have.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...