Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Plot Evolution...

…or one thing leads to another.

I cycled to the Hill last night with the intention of planting out half a dozen CABBAGE (red sprouting).

Although I rigged up a better system of transporting them than I did last week, by tying the seed tray containing the pots down in the bicycle basket, which improved the state that the seedlings arrived in after a bumpy journey, it certainly was not ideal. I really need to devise a better way – a work in progress, I think.

Once these were happily (or in the case of the one with the broken stem, not so happily) nestled in their new quarters in bed c2, I turned to the neighbour Ted’s side of the plot to continue with the preparation of levelling & firming the area ready for weed suppressant/bark chippings, & spent a vigorous half hour with the spade & rake.

It was only when I’d stepped from this area over the 3’ front-of-plot for the 50th time that I realised that a slab to use a stepping stone would be immensely useful. That means either finding another slab to match the existing (unlikely), or shuffling all the slabs up a bit. In order to do that, I need to wait until the wallflowers have finished flowering, & for the bulbs to die down so that they can be relocated.

Why is it that in order to do one thing, you nearly always have to wait for another thing to happen first?

7 comments:

  1. Thingie's law! Fortunately a garden - or allotment - is never finished. There's always room for more tweaking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The list of things we have to do is infinite and that each time we complete a task we become aware of another task that was always there.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. your raised borders and plot look great ...they really do ...I wish my small plot was as tidy....

    By the way - we use neem tree granuls to deter the carrot fly (as well as the cabbage white catapillar...) very organic and very effective....There is always companion planting with onions and chives too...It is said to mask the scent of the carrots..

    D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah yes, sequential consequences . . . been there, still doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops, meant to say, will your bike accept one of those baksets on the front, a la Mary Poppins?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's all a bit deep, Peter - I almost prefer Thingie's Law! Actually, 'sequential consequences' is such a good phrase...!

    I'll be looking up neem tree granules, Dinzie - anything that helps in the battle with the carrot fly sounds good to me! I hope that your sciatica is easing - better listen to the doctors, I think!

    And yes, Bilbo, I do have a Mary Poppins basket on the front of the bike - and a platform thing on the back too. I prefer using the front basket - you can keep an eye on your seedlings bouncing about in there!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...