...which I suspect must have been the cause of the problem!", wrote big sister Helen in an email to me yesterday - which is, in fact, exactly right.
On Sunday when I got back from Ryton, the bright light in the attic room meant it was a good afternoon for wine racking - i.e. I could can see what the devil I was doing.
There are about four batches ready for racking - in fact some ready for bottling, which I haven't done yet as I still haven't put up the shelf in the garage to put the big wine rack on. Jobs, jobs!
All started well enough with a new & simple system for racking - syphoning the cleared wine straight into a fresh sterilised demijohn. No mess, no fuss, then the old demijohn can have the sediment washed out & be used to syphon the next wine in the queue into. Brilliant!
I started with the redcurrant & apple wine (quick check on SG & taste (sharp, fruity)), then onto the apple mk I (quick check on the SG & taste (sweet, lovely)) & then disaster struck.
Whilst rinsing out the demijohn in the bathroom, giving it a really good shake & a final emptying of water into the basin, the demijohn slipped out my hand straight in the basin with a HUGE crash, thus rendering both demijohn & basin less than fit-for-purpose.
This did stop play, somewhat, whilst I cleared up a zillion shards of shattered glass, & patched up the basin with duck-tape.
The system is basically sound, though - it just means rinsing demijohns out in the stainless steel sink in the kitchen in future, thus reducing the number of breakable components by one.