Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Plenty of Peas!

Goodness me it has been HOT the past few days!  Still, with peas and beans bulging at the seams in their pots more than ready to be planting out there was no putting off the sweaty exertions of stringing the final two wigwams.

So I have avoided the heat of the day and spend a relaxed and productive couple of evenings at the Hill with the company of blackbirds and a fearless robin.

I took a deep breath and strung the wigwams and planted one with a tray of sweet peas, and the other with tall peas (ne plus ultra).  If that does not give me enough peas to eat fresh and to freeze and last all year, I do not know what will.

I planted out the rest of the broad beans too, and was thinking how well they were doing when I spotted Carl and Wendy's by-the-gate which are already in flower - early broadies for them!

The next 'big' job was to put the bean canes in a 'V' shape in between the end T pieces that structure I already have fixed in place.  With the supporting wires taut between the T's, all I had to do was push the canes into the ground in the middle, alternating to each side and attaching to the horizontal wire.  So now they are ready to be planted up with climbing beans in the middle, and dwarf beans at the bed edges.

Now I could have spent every waking hour weeding - especially the 'messy' plot edges, and I have taken all the dandelion heads off - but with the compost bin full to overflowing there is no room until I move on the the next strenuous job.  Emptying the other compost bin and revealing all that lovely compost.

2 comments:

  1. Crackin' good job, Grommit. All those supports look muchly splendid and when your peas are pretending to be beanstalks you will be glad you put in so much effort!

    But wait, cries Hobbit, all is not well in the Land of the Hill . . . is that a sneaky rhubarb flower spike sneaking off stage right in the second picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharp-eyed Hobbit! Fear not, however, the lush rhubarb bed you can see is on neighbour Jody's plot - his path was the best place for me to take a pic from so I could show the V bean at its best.

      But, yes, as I left I snapped the flower stalks off to save him a job when he is next at the Hill.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...