I prepared one half bed in particular very well indeed, raking and smoothing; then marking out sowing stations, ten rows of six. I carefully popped three parsnip seeds at each, and carefully covered over with some multi purpose compost left over from last year. I am determined that I WILL have parsnips this year!
Careful scrutiny of the other half of that bed shows that the garlic is FINALLY sprouting. It's like a magic eye picture - a bed of bare earth, then spot one shoot, then another, then you realise that the whole lot is full of 1-2" green blades of new growth. Brilliant!
Then I put up the ladybird house the my big sis gave me for Christmas - I've noticed that in Autumn there are always sleepy ladybirds in the nooks and crannies of the bean canes and drying pods and plants, so I've sited it on the bean T frame upright where I hope they will find it a happy home to hibernate in.
I picked some kale for tea, and tidied up, heading off home satisfied with a successful couple of hours work.