Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Monday, May 25, 2015

Bean Planting and Slow Coach Germination

When I went to the Hill on Saturday, it was good to see that all the peas and broad beans that I planted out last weekend are all looking hale and hearty - planting the peas out when a good 6" tall seems to be the way to go.

The day's task was to erect the bean 'V' with cross wires and canes and to plant out the french beans and runners.   The only hitch here is that the runner beans that I sowed for me have comprehensively failed - those I've sown for mum, all up and raring to go, so I don't know what has gone on there.

Talking of failed seeds, I complained about the complete no-show of my tomato seeds a couple of  weeks ago, and a friend kindly gave me half a dozen of his spare plants,  As I am sure that you can guess, the very day after I picked the tomato plants up last week, every single tomato seed popped up in the compost - 4 weeks after sowing.

Back to the beans, once the frame was up and the canes in place and tied to the cross wires, I got planting.

I've left planting out the dwarf french beans on the one side of the bed so I can access the canes with the runner beans later on.

A quick drink in the clubhouse rounded off a very satisfying session - instant allotment!

2 comments:

  1. What I think are broad beans (in front of the peas?) look very robust and chunky too - are they red flowers already?

    Very slow tomato germination here too, May was so cold you can't really blame them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well spotted! I like to grow crimson flowered broadies as they are so pretty, and I prefer the flavour. It was a juggling act waiting for the peas to come on enough to plant out, and I hope I haven't blown it with the broadies getting a bit stressed in the pots - hence the flowers. I hope I've given them nice enough conditions now.

      It's the nights that have been too cold this month - I've had a grand potting on session tonight - everything is fairly sheltered here in the courtyard garden - and I'm in no rush (even down here) to get the tender stuff planted out at the Hill.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...