Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

More progress than setbacks. Just about.

Despite some difficult weather (v wet and windy), and a shortage of available hours in any particular day, I have nipped back and forth the the Hill over the past couple of weeks, got my head down, and made some progress.

That is to say, I have made progress in bed prep, and much overdue planting out; not so much on weeding, especially with the bramble-intent-on-world-domination.

So, the bean frames are now up, and since this photo, the climbing beans planted out.  They look a bit sad as I thought they were big enough to fend off slug attack, but in fact, I was wrong.  I planted out the dwarf French beans too, ditto, and ditto.

I went a bit mad and direct sowed a load more runner bean seeds against each pole, so when everything does take off, it'll be a bit mixed, but hey, what the heck,

At least the planted out brassicas are looking stalwart - and hopefully the butterfly/pigeon protective netting will keep them that way!

I did make a little headway with the bramble, I think, by taking a couple of foot of any of its hydra-like tentacles that my waving secateurs could find a hold on.

If effort equaled achievement, of course, I'd be sitting pretty on my bench admiring the view down the Hill, rather than with a face full of bramble, which is actually the case.  Onwards and upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...