Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Sunday, April 14, 2024

Dalek!

It's marvellous to have a bit more flexability to go to the Hill now that the evenings are lighter.  Although all that means in practise is that I go later and I'm still caught out by dusk.  Today I had two jobs to do - and of course only got the one done for the reason above - so the maincrop potatoes will have to wait another day. 

I finished digging up the parsnips (parsnip soup perhaps, on the cards) and that freed up space for me to empty one of the dalek composters and spread the contents over half of the front bed - the other half to where I planted the first earlies last week.  

This is not the ideal time to empty composters - Nick raised a good point in his comment about chucking a load of compost/mulch on top of the beds over Winter and letting the worms/weather do the digging for you, but then he sounds more organised that I have am! 

I sumo wrestled the dalek into submission, and relocated the empty unit on the next bed along. 

Anything totally un-rotted from the top of the bin went back in for another go - and I added a couple of bags of horse manure from the manure heap to start it off.  

The 'better' stuff at the bottom I spread about a bit, and roughly forked in.

It is not what you might call a seed bed - being what you could charitably describe as being 'a bit rough', but it'll be good enough for me to plant potatoes, I think.




3 comments:

  1. I have never forgotten your practice of putting the daleks exactly where you can use the resulting black gold. Quite inspired my dear, quite inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've always been hopeless with a wheelbarrow, so unless I want the bucket the stuff around this is the way to go. If I had the room for manoeuvring, your 4 wheeled trolley would be a far better proposition!

      Delete
  2. Agreed. Composting in situ is an excellent idea. Or if you have one plot site your compost heap centrally so it’s never too far from anywhere and during the summer grow squash or courgettes on part of it so it’s functional and decorative.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...