Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Hi ho!


It's the weekend and I started DIGGING!

I've forked over about a third of the plot in 2 and a half hours, and came home absolutely knackered!

It was a very informative morning, and amongst other things, I have learnt:
  • Reg the adjacent plotholder says that basics are far cheaper at the allotment 'hut' than at the garden centre - glad I didn't buy the lime at Fosters now
  • I've met Fran who is a friend of someone Jane knows at school who apparently wins all the prizes at the annual allotment show. We'll see about that.
  • It's a bit of a rugby scrum for the manure from the skip - although I think that this is replenished regularly
  • Chickweed is easy to pull up. Nettles sting. Gooseberry bushes have thorns.
  • Using a fork for two hours gives you blisters on your hands

With regard to our little plot of land I have found that:

  • We have a run of fruit bushes down the right hand side - at least one of which is a gooseberry bush
  • There are a number of leaf beet plants (about 8) which I now need to look up in a book which bits you eat. The slugs would appear to like the leaves, but the stems look juicy to me
  • We will die of rhubarb overload if we take advantage of all that is on the plot.
  • There are some scrobby whitefly infested brussel sprouts which may come to something
  • There is a row of garlic that has resprouted which Fran says that we should lift, split & replant. We will not be troubled by vampires.

Jane & the tribe on digging duty tomorrow morning - I may creak along to give moral support!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...