Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Friday, May 11, 2007

When a girl's thoughts turn to SHOPPING!

We’re still getting rain – it’s been quite constant over the last 2 or 3 days – the trays holding the pots certainly want emptying out regularly before everything drowns!

I had a small potting-on session last night – so now the half a dozen BRUSSELS SPROUTS (Bedford filbasket) have now joined the tray of 18 CABBAGE (primo II) & 18 CAULIFLOWER (all the year round).

I also potted on the TOMATO (balconi yellow) which I want to use in hanging baskets here at home, & sowed half a dozen more in jiffys (well, the kitchen windowsill looks so bare!)

I’m a bit worried about the SWEETCORN (conquerer f1) – they are having a hard time of it with being too wet, perhaps. That and the big pieris pot falling on top of them a couple of times in the wind has not helped.

Thinking of a shopping list for Malvern – under the constraints of my general frugality – I would very much like to buy:

  • Various seeds if they are on offer/if they are exotic/interesting
  • Water retaining granules for the hanging basket – only if cheaper than Wilko
  • Netting for brassica bed – ditto

What I WILL NOT be buying:

  • Anything which can be reasonably be described as a ‘gadget’
  • Anything which can otherwise be picked up in a skip/Oxfam/be homemade – I’m thinking of the magic words ‘raised bed’
  • Any veg seedlings – however tempting!
  • Any item of clothing designed specifically for the gardener – exception may be made if I can find a sleeveless jacket at a reasonable cost – no, not even that – I’ll keep my eye out at Oxfam

The forecast for tomorrow varies from hour to hour, but I want to strengthen the bean pole run at the Hill, & then it’s supposed to be wet on Sunday – but nil desperandum it’s going to be a fabulous day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...