Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Friday, July 20, 2007

Hill - 1, Pigeons - 0

I went to the Hill yesterday evening in the sunshine with hammer, staples, proper netting & 18 cauliflower plants – too big to be called seedlings, so I hope that they will be ok – to construct a low level brassica cage. I saw retired Maureen digging up her spuds, but other than that it was me & a blackbird.

It didn’t take at all long to nail some netting onto the coldframe that I’d made earlier in the year – especially as the one of the two pieces of netting that I had left over from the rabbit run brassica cage turned out to be EXACTLY the right size – spooky!

I’m pleased with both of the brassica cages, actually, as they are both light enough to move single handed, they are both a good size (the coldframe one can be stood on bricks for extra height) & in winter they can be used to cover tender crops if I pop some fleece over the top. Hurrah!

Despite forgetting to bring the trowel with me (had to use a plastic fork which is another utterly useless piece of kit – it has trouble loosening spring onions, let along tackling digging a pot-size hole in compacted soil) & therefore having to use a spade, the cauliflowers were planted in legume plot A more or less where the peas have come up, & they look a treat.

I picked a LETTUCE (mixed) & half a dozen RADISH (white icicle) for my next door neighbours, pulled a BEETROOT (woden f1) for juicing in the morning & came away content that I’ve foiled the pigeons!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...