Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Thursday, July 26, 2007

It's raining, it's pouring...

Boy, has it rained over the past week!

There has been so much flooding around the country – we have been lucky both here & at the Hill that we’ve not been waterlogged as so many others have been. It’s been ANOTHER cool & wet day today – drizzle & rain all day, & just so gloomy! You’d never think that it is July!

I did manage to get to the Hill last night though for a picking of LETTUCE (mixed), RADISH (white icicle) & a few CARROT (early nantes). I sowed a short row of RADISH (saxa3) & a very short row of CARROT (Adelaide), what with running out of seed half way down the row & all.

I also stopped long enough to admire the Prize Pumpkin, & to note that the celery has rather surprisingly not keeled over & even looks to have perked up a bit.

I also popped 4 sunflower seedlings in at the front of the plot, & transplanted 10 red onion seedlings. I tried to put them level with the ground to match up with how they were in the tray – resisting the impulse to drop them in a hole like leeks – but they look a bit forlorn, so I’m not sure that they’ll come to anything.

The lettuce is still totally out of control – the plants are just getting bigger & bigger! I still have one red frilly one left to pick from the first row up by the Prize Pumpkin, & there are another four rows not started yet. That recipe for lettuce soup is looking more attractive by the day!

I think that the cool, wet weather has suited the lettuce & stopped the plants from bolting. Unlike the spinach which seems to whiz skywards at the drop of a hat – but that doesn’t stop me picking the flower stems & eating those.

I actually have a couple of flowers on the COURGETTE here at home, despite the plant looking worse now than it did when I planted it out, but the cucumber seedling has bitten the dust again – it’s just been far too wet, I think, so no cucumber for me this year – a challenge for 2008, perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...