Although the weather this year to day has been very cold & miserable, it has been generally quite dry - but earlier in the week we had a shower or two, then on Friday into Saturday it was really quite persistent, & I wondered if I would get the pea frame up as planned this weekend, so I could get the sweet peas planted out.
I was alone at the Hill yesterday, & admired the garlic coming up - it takes about 3 months to sprout, but then zooms along - then I started to set out the 8' canes for the frame. I was just arranging them into two rows, splayed outwards slightly, on which to attach green pea netting to, when Julie (second best plot) arrived.
This was excellent news as Julie is a key holder for the store shed & I wanted to buy the netting.
"I'm glad to see you, too," said Julie, "I think that you said that you'd like some of my spare seed potatoes - how many would you like? I've ended up with a few extras - partly as I ordered a little bag of one variety & they sent me 4 bags. They only charged for the one that I ordered, so I'm not complaining!"
Of course my mind went blank at this point & I couldn't remember how many I'd like, but as the potatoes are all chitting in her greenhouse, Julie said to help myself to a few of the 'accord' & 'anya' when I'd worked it out.
(note to self: a sketch & some maths reveals the answer to that to be 6 of each, for future ref)
I finished putting the bamboo sticks in - the whole affair seems unsatisfactorily flimsy, despite horizontal bamboo sticks top and middle, & shorter lengths between the two sides to brace. Further supporting sticks are required, I think - but I'd run out of wire twists by then, & it had started to rain quite hard, so I dug up three LEEKS (mrs d) & came home.
Going back today, the frame is no more pleasing to me than it was yesterday, but I figured that I can beef it up when I am in possession of more garden wire twists from Wilko, but in the meantime I can get the netting up, attaching it to the structure with those bag-ties that you get with a packet of plastic bags.
Maneuvering pea netting would test the patience of a saint - it's like wrestling fog. After stopping & unsnagging the bloody stuff about a million times from anything & everything, I eventually moved the 10m length (enough for each side) up the plot to the frame.
It's 2m wide, which is the height of the frame, so it was a case of tying the long edge to the highest horizontal pole all the way along, then down each side, & then to the middle and bottom horizontal poles.
Again, it's sort of ok, but I was running out of time (& patience, frankly), so I planted out the sweet peas by the first 4' stretch of netting, & in front I planted out a row of BROAD BEANS (self saved) & went home.
The joys of putting the netting up the other side are still to come.