Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Peas a-plenty!

Not in my MARCH seed envelope (as it is nowhere near big enough), but still in mind for sowing in pots this month, are a second batch of broad beans, along with the first sowing of peas.

Although I know which pea varieties did well last year, I also know that I've gathered a few extras along the way since then, so today I sat down with the seed box to see which ones I'm going to grow this year.

I wasn't quite prepared (& blame Flummery's infectious passion for all things leguminous over at Vegetable Heaven) for the fact that I have manage to gather FIFTEEN different varieties of pea, & there isn't the space to grow anything like this number. (Well, there is, but only providing that I don't want to grow anything else. I toyed with this idea for a while.)

I've made a provisional list, but that took so long that I ran out of time to actually sow anything...

6 comments:

  1. That's a lot of peas!

    You seem to need more growing space. Is it time you took on a second plot at the Hill (ducking and running for cover . . .)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've started growing things alternate years Hazel. So many seeds, so little time!

    So, what ARE you growing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would feel sorry for you if I hadn't picked up some of your beans at Totnes Seedy Saturday. And then immediately shoehorn them into my crowded balcony plan.

    Okay, I'll always feel sorry for a fellow seed addict. Even if they are a suppler!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Run before I throw a bamboo cane at you, Bilbo!

    More details on varieties to follow, Flum. I really should bite the bullet and give away those which I definitely won't grow again,but then again...

    Thanks for dropping by, Clare - now balcony growing IS a challenge - good luck to you, and I hope the beans grow well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Red Flowering Mangetout are lovely. I grew them for the first time last year and they were early croppers and filled the gap until the regular green variety were ready.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the vote of confidence on the red flowered mangetout, Tracy - I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...