Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Sunday, January 02, 2011

A New Growing Year Ahead

Although the weather was no less grey today than previous days - & only about 2 degrees - I dragged myself away from the cosy fire and went to the Hill to see how the winter is treating the allotment.

After the very cold temperatures & a few inches of snow lying for a couple of weeks, the plot is now very wet indeed - I went to dig up a parsnip & ended up with half the soil in the bed adhered to the spade. Nice looking parsnip, though.

The only other item on my List was to pop some bits & pieces from home into the compost bins - cut offs from the Christmas tree, & some indoor plants that had seen better days.

Back at home I spent a merry hour going through my embarrassingly large stash of seeds & sorted them into the relevant month for sowing, & also put all the beans (now hard & dry) into storage jars.

I thought about sowing some onion & leeks seeds, but truth be told, I couldn't be bothered leaving the warmth of the fire again to go & get the frozen compost out of the garage - it'll surely wait.

2 comments:

  1. Of coure the onions and leeks will wait, if you sow anything now surely the seeds aren't daft enough to try and germinate :}>

    Perhaps you could sew instead ... ducking

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chickweed in the vine's pot seems to be growing already - but you're right, there is no rush.

    And don't rush me! {gg}

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...