I didn't have much planned, but wanted to dig some potatoes and have a look at what maintenance jobs will need looking at this winter.
There is some general tidying up to do, of course, but no great rush - and I don't want to trim the lavender at the front of the plot yet, as it still has some flowers
I got the fork out the toolshed - noting that it is getting increasing rickety, and the wood is so rotten that if I replace all the timbers that need renewing, and the roof, and the felt; I will, in fact, have a new shed.
I was careful around the one side of the bed where the side timber is loose. The raised beds have been in situ for just about 5 years, and some of the stakes that I used as pegs have rotted and snapped, so they need replacing.
With that bed now empty, I turned the wood-chippings from the path onto the bed. The chippings rot down every couple of years, so I'll need to put new ones down this winter.
Before picking some kale to bring home to eat this week, I had a look at the compost bins. I'd declared these redundant when I got the dalek composters, but with the prunings of the currant bushes and the raspberry canes they are more heaped than ever
Need to do something about that too, I think.
But not today - I had more than enough food for thought, and came home for a well deserved cup of tea.