Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Unexpected Goodies

Whilst we are waiting for Jason to send me the photos that he took at the AGM on Tuesday evening - in particular of the assorted silverware that was presented at the end of the meeting - we can have a look at this delightful courgette loaf that Woodchippings Paul has baked for me.

He had baked a loaf for the buffet after the AGM, and it was so delicious that I asked him for the recipe.

'Oh - do you really like it?' he beamed, 'Jackie P has just said the same thing - I'm going to bake her one.  Do you want one too?'  Well, you can't say no to that offer, and on my way to the Hill today, I collected it.  Delicious - great with butter and cheese.

It's the season for tidying and clearing, so besides wanting to dig up the final potatoes (picasso - fabulous bakers), I also wanted to get the pea wigwams down.

The Autumn has been so wet that the soil is heavy and difficult to work, so it was hard going on the potato bed; but the upside is that when it came to taking the pea plants down from the wigwams, the string supports easily broke and the dead plants could pulled up and composted in no time.

But before I took the sweet pea wigwam down, I spotted plenty of sweet pea pods ripe and ready to pick on the plants.  Brilliant - they will come in for next year, and there are plenty of them  So I picked them all the plants and took them home to dry and pod; and came home for tea and courgette bread.

Marvellous.

2 comments:

  1. Think I might do some catching up on what you've been up to at the allotment. My world has been upside down since we got home. Want to go back and then Jayne puts on all those wonderful photos so makes it even worse. Suppose your are getting ready for winter. Take care and I'll so some reading when I have time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where you live is just as special - just different. Having said that, I'm not sure that there are many places that can match the beauty of the Lake District!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...