Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Thursday, June 28, 2018

Bringing home the goods!

I managed get to the Hill for an hour this evening before the England match.

I finished digging over bed7 then did the dalek dance with the compost dalek on bed8, emptying it, and moving it to it's new home at the far end of bed7.   Another bed finished and ready for planting - and I have brassicas in pots ready to plant out; a job for the weekend.

I now have a stock of punnets in the car, so it was easy to harvest some of the Japanese leaves from the plants in the courgette bed - a cloud of whitefly flew up from each small plant - some tiny french beans (the vegetable equivalent of veal), and also some raspberries and a few redcurrant.

I blanched the Japanese leaves for a minute to take the bitterness out of them, and also the French beans; then made them into a salad for tea with some lettuce seedlings growing at home.

I offset the healthy salad with a piece of key lime pie I made the other day - but at least got another of my five a day when I topped it with the soft fruit.

I'd call that a win.

3 comments:

  1. I think we need to see the dalek dance. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that we do not! It resembles a sumo bout, with a grab round the middle and a heave left or right to get it to the ground whilst trying to keep the revealed lovely compost within the bed.

      Delete
  2. Yay, you're back :) Well done for tackling the Bramble Invasion, that is a foul job.

    Over the years I have told many folk about your putting the daleks at the end of a bed and thereby having the compost just where you need it when the bins are full. It's a brilliant idea. xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...