Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Wednesday, August 01, 2018

Hard Going

I couldn't get to the Hill until nearly 8.30pm last night and was limited to how much I could get done - it is noticeable that there is not quite so much day length now. 

I'd aimed to restake and dig over the first of the fruit beds down the side of the plot ('before' pic here), but it was clear from trying to knock the first of the stakes in that this would not be as easy as for the main beds - these side beds are more permanent in terms of planting and so the soil is pretty solid as they haven't been turned over much.

I switched tack and made a start on forking over and clearing the bed of an offspring of the Bramble Intent on World Domination, a sickly blueberry bush which has yielded about 3 blueberries in 8 years, and some unruly comfrey. 

This was also hard going, and I ran out of light before finishing the job, so that's where to start next time round.

Picked half a dozen small courgette - keeping on top of these so far this year - and few runner beans before heading home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...