Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Friday, August 03, 2018

Some Progress

I went to the Hill yesterday with a view to finish re-staking and digging over the first of the fruit beds at the side. 

First step was to fork over the bed - firstly to get the weeds out the bed, as the comfrey in this bed has grown rampant and spread to the paths round, and beyond; second, the ground is rock hard as it is so dry, and this area has not been worked, and I hope to loosen the soil to make it a bit easier to knock the stakes in.

The comfrey needs replanting in a tub to contain it - a brilliant idea which unfortunately, I only came up with this morning, but I suspect that even after my efforts with the fork, it will grow back, and I'll do the replanting job then.

The second step was to knock the stakes in - but they were still almost impossible to drive home - I made progress for a while before the lump hammer broke with the top flying off the handle.  Don't know my own strength - ha ha.

Picked a few baby courgettes, a portion of runner beans, and retired to the club house for a quick beer before home time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...