Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Sunday, March 17, 2024

Best parsnips ever!

Finally it has stopped raining - hurrah! - so off to the Hill this afternoon in some lovely Spring sunshine, clutching a packet of parsnip seeds in my hand.  

Last year's planting plan of 'put in what you have ready in the bit of land you have ready' was not what you might call organised but it certainly worked, with some fab veg - these parsnips and cabbage a case in point which I bought home with me today. 

But the 'bung it in' approach does not have any reference to rotation and all that stuff that you are supposed to do in order to keep the gound healthy, as well as the crops in it. 

Being rather more organised this year (so far!) with all eight main beds with veg in at the moment, or ready to planted up means that I can choose where to grow this year's veg.  A slightly limiting factor is that the garlic is already randomly planted in 'A1', and I sowed the broad beans in 'B1', but I will have to work round them.

I fished out my trusty John Seymour to tell me what should be where, and based on where the spuds were last year (C1 & C2), I worked out where I wanted to sow the parsnip seeds. 

However, by the time I'd cut a couple of cabbage, dug a healthy selection of parsnips chatted to Handyman Paul, who kindly asked after mum, and Richard-3-plots-down who came to pick my brains on the best recommended Canary Island, I was out of time.

Parsnip seed - if not parsnips themselves - will have to wait another day. 

5 comments:

  1. Um - whose trusty John Seymour ?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'The Complete Book of Self Sufficiency' by John Seymour. V good grow your own reference handbook. I've included a photo of it there.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, the subtleties of that comment were lost as I was 'anonymous' - but might you have acquired it from your BSH? !

      Delete
    3. Too subtle for me - just thought that an anonymous commenter's grammer wasn't up to snuff! 🤣

      Delete
    4. Also, thought I gave yours back and bought my own copy from a charity shop, but I may be wrong on that......

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...