Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Monday, March 25, 2024

Some Time Better Than No Time

It's been a busier than usual weekend, and despite the welome extra daylight that we are now enjoying late afternoon, I still struggled to do what I wanted at the Hill.  However, a snatched half hour is better than nothing so I made my way there with the intention of sorted out a bit of my 'immediate tasks' list.

I need to buy and apply lime to where I'll be sowing peas/beans this year, ditto with BFF for everywhere else, sow parsnips, zip over the areas where annual weeds are showing up, fork out the emerging couch grass shoots/roots, pick kale and purple sprouting, dig the last of the leeks and a few parsnips. 

Well I was not going to make much of a dent in that laughably long list, but I did bring home a large leek, a cabbage (maybe one more before the last couple go to seed), a large bag of kale (split 3 ways with friends later), the same of purple sprouting, and dug some parsnips.  Maybe one or two more diggings of these before they go woody.

There are signs of the broad beans, the garlic is doing v well, and I'll soon have enough of the Winter crops out the way to empty and move the two compost bins waiting to shove up to their next positions. 

Need to think about potatoes - Richard-3-plots-down has his first earlies in, and we'll soon be into April.  It feels like Nature is on the starting blocks - and I don't want to let my good winter progress slip now that I have the plot in decent shape!

2 comments:

  1. Great to have you back Hazel. I hope my new allotment neighbour is reading you as a far more realistic depiction of growing your own, Nick

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...