Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Wooosh - and we're off!

So if you want to know what a week of sunshine does in May after a very wet but mild Spring, you only have to blink at the Hill (alright - a week since previous attendence) to find that there has been a collective explosion of growth. 

In the weeds on the paths mainly (MUST get round to covering and chippings there) but also with the broad beans and garlic - both of which are looking superb.

An hour this evening saw me filling one of the daleks with pulled up weeds (they disappear into nothing in a few days) and fluffing over the bed with the most recent Dalek compost spread about. 

Some of the more straw-like went back into the dalek for a another go, but this is now looking more like somewhere you can plant things rather than something you would feed to a horse.  

Meanwhile, in the kitchen last week I had a mammoth seed sowing session in front of the tele - most relaxing.  Runners, dwarf and climbing french beans, sweetcorn, leeks (bit late in according to the packet) and 4 varieties of courgette - the quantity of which I am already regretting.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hazel on the subject of ‘brassica massacre’ I’ve lost Brussels sprouts, flower sprouts and cabbages to molluscs this year so I’m back to sowing everything again where the veg compete with annuals in the greenhouse and tomatoes have gone out before hardy veg. Great hear your energy despite the difficulties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing I direct sow is parsnips - I've never even got on with 'nursery beds' so it's sow in pots at home all the way for me - not foolproof as you will see if you read on....

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...