Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Sunday, September 02, 2018

Autumn Round the Corner

After the  excitement of the Annual Show, I happened to have a few days away, so on my first visit back to the Hill this evening I find half a dozen huge courgettes - which I ditched (have had enough years of varying success with courgette soup/shredded courgette in the freezer/free for all courgettes for the neighbours) - and picked five baby ones to use.

I had a 'cuckoo in the nest' bean which has turned out to be a purple climber - and how prolific is this one plant!  Can also see the beans against the green foliage, which makes them easier to pick; and they are utterly stringless when cooked, even if a bit big. Fortuitous sowing error.

I picked a carrier bag of runners and french beans - some of the runners too big to use, but most OK. I find that runners freeze brilliantly (french beans not so much), so when I got back tonight I've had a string/slice/chop session.

I had a good weeding session, and note the brassicas all looking fab.  It's still warm enough in the evenings for a t shirt, although it is noticeable how the nights are drawing in.

Retired to the club house at 8.30pm at dusk for the customary quick beer - and I caught the start of tonight's entertainment - a performer doing 'songs from the movies' - ah, those Summer Nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...