Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Monday, May 06, 2024

Wig Wam Bam!

What lovely weather for this bank holiday weekend!  Lots of outside activities in the sunshine which included climbing around on the flat roof to clean the window paintwork, soffits and clear out the gutter, going out for a long run (v hot!), visiting friends, a trip out to the farm shop all on top of normal weekend activities.

But I also went to the Hill in the sunshine and got a few jobs done.  First of all I was delighted to see the Pentland Javelin potatoes planted four weeks ago are now showing the first shoots - hurrah!

I pulled up the last of the leeks which I'd left to flower on the basis that they are not actually flowering, and this year is not the one with the time to bugger about with experimental leek seed/seedlings which may or may not come to anything.
 
This left a lovely quarter of a bed at the end of the potatos which raked over and planted a score each of red and white onions bought ealier from Poundland; and then treated both potato beds with a few handfuls of BFB.

That just left me time to put up a couple of wigwams for the beans on one of the beds which I limed earlier in the week.  Not that I've got any beans sown yet - although I did look out a bad of compost, pots, trays and some of last year's saved bean seeds when I got home - but alas - actually sowing them is a job for another day

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...