Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Friday, May 03, 2024

A Quick Hour

I'm very much enjoying the evenings getting lighter!  I managed to sneak an hour in after tonight's club run - even though it was definitely on the night side of dusk at 9.15pm.

I finished turning the lime into what will be the beans and peas beds this year.  It's May, so with these two allocated beds ready, I'd better acually sow some seeds.  I very rarely sow direct, it's all a bit more controllable in pots at home then when you plant them out - voila - instant allotment!  I must get on with that, and I need to put a wigwam up too for the climbing beans. 

I never really have the knack of peas - I can't settle on what's best in terms of protection or support, and end up with peas full of pea moth grubs, and looking a right ol' straggly mess. I do like peas though!

Before I left, I emptied the last of the daleks which has been full for a year and moved the empty to the next bed along.  The contents of this one are particularly dry and not well rotted, so a lot will have to go back for another go.  

Well, I say not well rotted, but I couldn't actually see what I was doing by this point, so did the sensible thing and retired to the clubhouse for a beer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...