Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Sunday, December 03, 2006

And it was all going so well....

Our Plan for world domination (and everyone eating lots of nice home grown fruit and veg) has hit the tiniest of hurdles, with Jane down with a nasty chest infection. This has meant that our man power has been severely curtailed this weekend - i.e. it's just me.

On a brighter note, when I got to the allotment on Saturday morning, it was another beautiful sunny day (in spite of the wet and windy forecast) and I soon set about forking over another portion of the plot.

In fact it is going so well that we nearly have 1200 sq ft of dirt, as opposed to 1200 sq ft of chickweed.

I learn more interesting things about our new world – I meet Mike who is the allotments treasurer and another plotholder called Roger who has his plot a thankfully decent distance away down the hill away from Reg’s dark muttering.

Two hours later, I’d had enough, and realising I’d left my camera at home, whizzed back an hour later with camera and mum in tow (she’s incredibly impressed – has possibly not realised that I haven’t actually done all the digging myself....?).

We met a very chatty lady who is the sister of another newbie – she’s called Jackie and has taken early retirement from Coppice school – don’t think that Jane knows her, though.

This afternoon I tootled down to Fosters garden centre to look at the various fruit bushes. There are lots of varieties of blueberry and raspberries much in evidence.

So next weekend, assuming that we are back up to strength it's:
  • the last of the digging
  • liming
  • moving the garlic
  • pruning the vast number of gooseberry bushes down the side of the plot - perhaps some of these can be replaced with blueberries or currant bushes?

I can see that we're going to have to make some decisions soon and planning will be the order of the days ahead!

PS: Brian our predecessor is not, in fact, dead - he has had to give up the allotment because his aged parent now needs help in his garden and he couldn't do both garden and allotment. I wonder what the aged parent will now do for beetroot, garlic, rhubarb and gooseberries?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...