Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Thursday, December 28, 2006

First pickings! Hurrah!

Yes! We had home grown Brussels sprouts for Christmas dinner! And they would have been utterly perfect had I not given them just a teeny touch too long in the pan, but no one’s perfect.

I picked from the bottom of each plant (big sprouts) up to the top (little sprouts) and the best ones are definitely the little ones because they are tighter (and therefore don’t all fall apart when you try to put that little cross in the bottom, like the larger ones do).

Most satisfying, I must say.

With regard to flower growing, big sister Helen says that growing flowers is not a wet idea because every time you cut a big bunch of flowers, you save £2.99 on the Tesco shopping bill which makes the idea a great deal more attractive.

For Christmas I have had some wonderful allotment related presents – including some packets of veg seeds – all well received with the exception of the beetroot seeds. I think we’ve decided that beetroot are not exactly top priority for the spring planting.

I’m looking forward to Saturday when it will be time to manure the front of the plot – and to work off some of the Christmas chocolates!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...