Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Planning mk III

I’m having yet another crack at PLANNING (painful, isn't it?) - you'd think it would be easy to just look at the back of each seed packet & note the first date that the seeds can go in, then sow a few each two weeks until the last date that the seeds can go in.

But NO – it’s far more complicated than that – it’s this sowing in greenhouse/under cover/seed bed business which chucks a spanner in the works.

So, armed with both the John Seymour calendar, & also the more detailed one in one of the seed catalogues (Dobies, in point of fact), I’m determined to make a note of anything else that needs doing in January, and look forward to February.

With regard to ‘greenhouse’ sowings, that’s Jane’s department, but I did buy some peat pellets to make a sowing of CAULIFLOWER (all the year round) because they are supposed to be tricky blighters and they’ll have no excuse now.

With regards to the ‘under cover/seed bed’ bit, I need to sort an area out for this out next weekend, & work out a way to cover it for the next couple of months. I did think that I’d use some bricks that I can wrap some bubble wrap over. I realise that this is a bad move as the rain will dip it down – or I could put a prop in the middle...?

Then I thought that I could magic an old window frame out of thin air & use that – then I thought that there must be a possibility with polycarb…?

Perhaps I can just use some fleece...?

When I’ve done that, I can sow CABBAGE, LETTUCE & SPINACH under cover, which will conclude our January tasks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...