Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

And do it properly this time!

Again, Saturday dawns fair – spooky – surely this cannot last. It’s not just that the weather is nice, it’s that the weather all week is APALLING and then Saturday morning is nice. Not that I’m complaining, it’s just that it is a bit odd, that’s all.

The aim is to dig up and dispose of the rest of the unplanted (and unneeded garlic) then to start to manure the front portion, however Reg is around as I arrive and I tell him the tale of how I planted up the clump of tiny garlic last weekend and how I do not have high hopes for the yield.

He jollies me a long with a ‘it won’t take a minute to fish a few big cloves from this lot and replace any tiny ones….’. This is not true at all, because it takes AGES to fork up the whole row and then replant the decent sized ones, but I do feel a lot more satisfied that I’ve done a proper job this time.

Alison the teacher’s sister is attracted by the garlic aroma in the air and comes along to see what I’m up to and we take a walk down to the other end of the site to have a nose and what everyone else is up to, which I feel a bit self conscious about doing on my own.

I also meet Hayden the Club Secretary (although I didn’t realise who he was until after he’d wandered off – I could have got the lime from him. Drat!)

Now that the garlic is all out of the way, I can start spreading manure over this area but I can see that the finding the ‘right’ manure in the manure skip is going to be a bit hit and miss – apparently it comes in more desirable straw based variety and a less desirable wood-shaving based variety (the wood shavings taking longer to rot down that the straw).

Who’d have thought that spreading horse sh*t was so technical?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...