Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Parsnips & Pots

Winter is most certainly still with us – a couple of inches of snow at the beginning of the week, which has been slow to clear, & apparently we are in for another couple of inches tomorrow.

It might be cold outside, but that doesn’t stop a little seed planting indoors, so I’ve sown a pot of LEEK (mrs d) seeds.

It’s also about the right time to put PARSNIP (h white gem) seeds in – I collected them from a plant that I left to go to seed last year. As they are a bit tricksy to germinate at the best of times, rather than sow them straight into loo roll inners & hope that they come up, I’ve put some to germinate on damp kitchen roll first.

Beans & peas are easy seeds to save (i.e. those that you haven’t eaten over winter you can plant the next Spring), but this is my first attempt at saving any other. Although I know that there’s technically no reason why the seed shouldn’t sprout, I’ll do a little jig if they actually do!

2 comments:

  1. Clear the decks and roll up yer trousers legs them - cos they actually will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to hang on to my dancing shoes for a while yet - I've just looked up in Hessayon and parsnip seeds take between 10 and 28 days to germinate.

    Good job that I'm not holding my breath!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...