Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Sowing lessons...

I have been very well organised with the BROAD BEANS & sown 30 (h barry plot 19) in pots, which are now in the mini greenhouse. I will sow 30 more next month, & 30 more the month after that. Brilliant – broad beans all through the summer.

And I have potted up all 15 SHALLOTS (hative de niort) which had started to sprout. Again, full marks.

However, I have not got successional seed sowing right yet.

What did I say a week or two ago?

I said, ‘… I must remember that not everything benefits from the ‘little & often’ principal. It’s ok to sow half a dozen lettuces or cauliflower….. however, things like leek, onion & parsnip can be sown with just an ‘early’ & a ‘late’ sowing…’

So what do I have proudly growing in little pots on all available windowsills?

A grand total of six ONION (long red florence) seedlings, which will last me about two meals when they are mature in a number of months, & twenty newly pricked out LETTUCE (hsl stoke) seedlings which will all be ready in spectacular & overwhelming unison in 10 weeks or so…

I do listen to myself sometimes, though – I’ve got it just right with the half a dozen CAULIFLOWERS (all the year round) that I’ve also pricked out this evening...

4 comments:

  1. I never get successional sowing right Hazel! When I do manage to get the things in, the season defeats me - things are either slow - or they gallop on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the small plot of vegie garden I have Succession planting is important ... Never got it right this season :O)

    RYN - The Fantail isn't the same family. ALthough some of its characteristics are very similar :O)

    D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always start my shallots off in modules till they get a good start in life. I am always impatient though, and keep lifting them to see if their roots have got any longer each day.... naughty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least I have a Plan for successional sowing this year - whether I stick to it is another matter of course!

    Have managed to resist checking shallot growth by measuring the roots so far, Matron - although the tops are getting a scrutinised daily!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...