Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Sunday, November 08, 2009

First Take Your Squash...

...and work out how the devil to get into the damn thing in order to make the planned batch of Mock Lemon Curd.

This was very difficult indeed.

The good news is that I do still have the requisite number of fingers & the operation did give me a comprehensive upper body workout, although the air was turned quite blue.

Once the squash was chopped & steamed, I thinly peeled the lemon rind from 10 lemons (careful use of the potato peeler here), juiced the lemons & blitzed all this up in the food processor.

I put this into the maslin pan with the butter & sugar, simmered for half an hour & potting it up.

I ran out of pots when I got to 19 & the last bit had to go in a soup bowl to be eaten up first. That's a lot of mock lemon curd.

In fact, more than enough to eat at every single meal for the next twelve months, I think - even allowing for giving away as Christmas gifts to virtually everyone I know.

And that's not all.

As this was the smallest of the three olive squash, lovely as it is, I can't possibly make more - so what on earth shall I do with the others...?

2 comments:

  1. It looks quite wonderful (and I am very glad that you still have all your extremities) but if this was the smallest of the olive squash . . .

    Definitely a chance to laugh at you and say "now why exactly do you grow these things"?

    Remember this comment so that you can laugh at me next year when I have the same problem. Have saved some seed from an organic pumpkin which came in our veg box from Eva's Organics and was so darn yummy that I couldn't help thinking of growing some next year . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laugh away, Bilbo - my turn will come with you I am sure!

    I hope that your squash come true - they do sound rather good. What size are the fruit?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...