Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Hill Allotments AGM

It was the AGM on Tuesday night, & what a well run, informative & entertaining evening it was too! Quite why only 26 out of 70 plot holders were present I do not know – even if you are not a 'joiner-in' you should attend, I think, if only for the useful information given out.

The main – & most welcome – difference this year was that the meeting was not held in the small back run of the clubhouse, but it the main bar.

This was an enormous improvement on last year as the number of plot holders, family, committee members & others crammed into the little room last year was extremely claustrophobic.

The meeting clipped along at a fair pace with entertaining & informative reports from neighbour Ted (in his role as deputy chairman), secretary Hayden, Scottish George as show secretary & treasurer Mike then committee members were elected or re-elected as appropriate.

Pride of place of the cups & awards was the cup awarded the Hill for the best allotment in Birmingham – so a collective pat on the back there. I was delighted that I was singled out for a mention in the show report, & Jane & I were proud to collect our ‘most improved plot’ cup.

We left after the buffet, reflecting how odd it was to see my fellow plot holders in ‘mufti’!

3 comments:

  1. Pinched a photo to put on the website. Hope that's ok.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know 44 people not turning up could seem disappointing but you had a massive turn out by other standards. I used to manage events and it was considered a good turn out if 20% of the people invited turned up. 37% of allotment holders at an AGM on a cold, blustery evening in November is mighty impressive I'd say. Well done you lot :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No worries, Mike.

    I hadn't thought of it like that, Nic - I'll pass your comments on to the committee too, if you don't mind.

    I reckon that if I can be bothered to get there then there's not much excuse for anyone else - especially whent it is
    (a) in a warm pub
    (b) interesting & informative, and doesn't go on for more than an hour & a half, and
    (c) there is a free buffet!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...