Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Mock Lemon Curd Prep

Here's the smallest of my three olive squash which I'm going to cook up into mock lemon curd at the weekend.

I'm trying to work out just how many jars I'm going to need to pot it up, and thought that if I put the quantities down with the method, then some bright spark might be able to advise.

My squash weighs 11lb as it is, and according to Xanthe Clay's 'It's Raining Plums' (which my big sister Helen bought me for Christmas and is excellent) a squash yields two thirds of it's weight in usable flesh, so we'll call that 7½ lb, and to that I'll need just less than that weight of sugar, half as many again lemons as squash, and an eighth of the weight of squash in butter.

So with a bit of rounding up and down for convenience - and also adjusting after consulting Nic's blog, here's what I'll be making.

Mock Lemon Curd

7 lb 8oz peeled, seeded and cubed squash
6 lb sugar
1 lb butter
10 lemons - grated rind and juice

Steam the squash till tender (about an hour) then leave to drain overnight
Mash (or liquidise) the squash with rind grated from the lemons & lemon juice
Simmer squash, lemon rind & juice, sugar & butter for 20mins, stirring constantly
Pot up

All I've got to work out is how to chop the damn thing up!

6 comments:

  1. hmm, I can never resist a puzzle especially a food related one so I'd guess that from that much curdy mix you'll get about 2000g (perhaps a little more with the extra lemons)...

    1. small jars 110-200g - about 10-17
    2. medium jars 200g-300 - about 7-10
    3. large jars 300g-450g - about 4.5-6.5

    I'd recommend going for smaller jars - better for passing on and won't deteriorate as quickly in the fridge once opened (bear in mind it's got butter in so doesn't keep as well as chutney/jam). Don't use jars with clip lips - I had to throw out the contents of the half litre kilner jar because it wasn't an airtight seal and the curd fermented (I've had the same with the bottled damsons). I've taken to covering all my preserves now with cling film in case the lids are defective.
    Enjoy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My lovely elderly neighbour gave me a jar of lemon curd recently. I give them eggs when there are spares. It was so fresh tasting and delicious. I'm sure your mock curd will be just delightful. When working our recipes like that I round it down to 1. Work our how much of each ingredient you need for 1 lb squash by division, then multiply by 11. Simples!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I've got to work out is how to chop the damn thing up

    I'm childishly tempted to offer you the brush hok but that's not really the answer you want, is it {smile} Food processor?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've enjoyed lurking on your blog for ages, but I am curious because Jane never seems to be mentioned. Does she still tend the allotment?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the new layout! Nice and clear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Nic - I'm going to fill all my 'little' jars first (as you say, good for presents), then move to the larger ones. I always seal with a wax disc anyway, but thanks for the warning!

    I bet lemon curd with 'proper' eggs is delicious, Flum (as are - I'm sure other egg-heavy dishes like egg custard, lemon meringue pie, quiche etc etc)

    Chopping up the squash is not for the weedy, Bilbo - I struggled even with my biggest carving knife (will blog later). Perhaps the brush hook would have been a good move after all!

    Thank you for dropping by Carolyn - I'm glad that you like reading about our exploits! It's ok, I haven't buried Jane in the bean trench or anything! The complexities of running the family home (planned with military precision!) leave her with little time to pootle around the plot. She always say how wonderfully calm and peaceful she finds the Hill when she can get there though.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...