Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Monday, April 29, 2024

Brassica Massacre!

Despite the lighter evenings, other commitments mean that I'm still fairly reliant on the weekends to go to the Hill, so if the weather is not good (last weekend) things I want to get done don't always get done.  No wonder I'm on the back foot for much of the time!  However, I was pleased today to do two important jobs.  

Firstly, I planted the rest of the potatoes (Maris Piper - although anyone's guess as to whether I'll get any decent bakers out of them) - half into the newly delek-composted bed, and half into the next bed along.  

I still have a handful of leeks in that bed in bud - happy to leave these for the insects - and incuding one which looks like it's jumped past the flowering bit and has what appears to be tiny leeks sprouting.  I vaguely recall that these can be planted (must look that up to see how much of a faff that is).  

The second job was to give the heave ho to all the sprouts, purple sprouting and kale.  These have been left to flower for the insects for the past few week, but I think that the pollinators should have enough to be going on with at this point.  

All the plants are going to the tip rather than into the dalek composters - a wise choice given how much volume they take up (can hardly get in the car) and that brassica stems are like broomhandles and take forever and a day to rot down.  

Not enough time before dark to tidy up the scene of brasica carnage left behind, but there was enough time to pull a dozen sticks of rhubarb to bring home.    

2 comments:

  1. Well done for wrestling the overgrown brassica, do you save any seed or is it not worth the faff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not this year.
      I have been delighted with the brassicas, but I bought them as F1 seedlings so might be disappointed with the results. ALSO if I'd have saved the seed, I would have had to sow the blighters, and 'life' means that short cuts like buying seedlings are a more attractive proposition than seed saving atm!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...