Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Lime, BFB and Maths Fail

Being rather organised on the plot this Spring (it won't last) I have an approx rotation/sowing plan sorted out - as opposed to reclaiming beds from the jungle and hurling in anything anywhere that was ready to go in , which was last year's strategy.  It worked, in that I had a lot of veg late summer and over winter - the brassicas I have been particularly pleased with - but that's a bit haphazard.  

Not only do I have a plan for this year in terms of what goes where, I'm also affording the plot a rare treat by buying some lime (for where the peas and beans will be, and some BFB for everywhere else), on the basis that the homemade compost is a bit hit and miss, and it can't do any harm to give everywhere a bit of a boost once every 5 years or so. 

The allotment store shed is the place for these sort of basic provisions, and so after I went to the tip in the lunch hour to ditch the brassicas, I nipped to the Hill, found Handyman Paul, made him immediately stop what he was doing and dragged him up to the shed to weigh out lime and BFB.  

Pleased that I knew how many sq m the beds cover (6sq m per bed), I was stumped with the question of how much lime/BFB was needed per sq m. Furious googling and some maths lost out to 'well, a couple of kilos sounds about right, and a bit more of the other' - a good investment of £3.70. 

I found an hour this evening towards dusk to go back and apply the lime and fork it in (mostly), and this will be for peas and beans this year.  Bit of a shame that the broad beans are growing away nicely a few beds away, but you can't have everything.

2 comments:

  1. reclaiming beds from the jungle

    ah, yes, that well known "How to stop everything going Feral" gardening technique. I know it well, that is the approach which I have realised is going to take up all of this year.

    That lovely clean and ready-for-the-season raised bed looks great, well done you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-)
      Top tip on reclaimng 'feral' is to take a pic - not to show anyone, but for when you've done xx hours in the garden and you're knackered, and when you stand back, and it still looks terrible. Look at the pic - might not look good but it wil be better than it was.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...