Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Sunday, April 07, 2024

Raaaaaaaain!

It's been really gusty over the weekend and this afternoon had squally showers.  I thought I might miss these going to the Hill this afternoon, but not a chance.

We all know that it has been a very, very wet indeed over the past couple of months, so I've been in no rush to get things sown.  As far as I'm concerned, there has to be a bit of give and take between me and Mother Nature regarding an acceptable timetable of events - I put things in the ground to suit a busy life, and she chucks an approximation of appropriate weather my way in order for stuff to grow.

However I was guilted into dealing with the potatoes today - despite the showers - after hearing Gardeners Question Time panel on the radio showing some incredulity that a chap had been so lax as to not have his in at this late stage.  Supercilious beggars.

 A quick fire fork over of half a bed (pulled out some couch grass roots) then dug four ditches for me to put the first earliers in (pentland javelin).  As they grow, I'll level the ground.  I find this is easier than planting them in the flat ground and earthing up (which is hard work, and I invariably don't bother), and then I get pototoes going green as they are exposed to the light. 

Dug a couple of parsnips, and pulled a bit of rhubarb and called it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...