Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Sunday, July 22, 2018

Better - but more to be done

I finished digging over bed8 this evening, but wasn't in the mood for the fiddly drilling of the cross beams in order to secure the blue piping for this brassica bed.  No rush to get this done this evening, as I need to buy scaffold netting from the shed before planting out.  A job nearly done nonetheless. 

Just in case I was feeling smug, I still need to lay weed suppressant and chippings on the paths, and I haven't made a start on the wild side of the 'fruit' beds running up the side of the plot. 

Issues to be dealt with there include working out how to weed big rooted weeds out of the asparagus bed without screwing the asparagus; removing Offspring of Bramble Intent on World Domination which still lurks; beating the red and blackcurrant bushes into some sort of shape; and getting shot of the couch grass which troubles the raspberry bed.

And all of this whilst wondering how to deal with the inevitable courgette glut that three plants are about to yield.  Never mind - motown tribute act Mel Day just starting his set at the club house whilst I had a quick beer - left me humming 'my girl' all the way home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...