Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Even without a Plan!

Because I did not have a particular Plan of Action at the Hill today, I have bumbled around and not achieved very much – however it really is a wonderful time of year where harvesting is concerned.

There is a real joy in picking the first of any variety of the year - something feels 'right' about eating veg when it is in it's season - & at the moment there’s nothing yet that is so overwhelming in quantity that I am getting fed up!

The plants are all big enough to suppress weeds too – most especially in the case of the pumpkin & squash which needed a severe talking to – so with the exception of the messy roots beds (a1 & a2) which have not had timber sides put round yet, the plot is pretty weed free, & picking tea is the predominant job.

I forgot to bring radish & carrots seeds with me to sow (again!) & also forgot the secateurs so I couldn’t pick any sweetpeas, but apart from those rather glaring oversights, I did pick PEAS (lancashire lad & ne plus ultra), the first few FRENCH BEANS (early warwick), the one & only CARROT (manchester table) from the first sowing, and – tonight’s prize – one of each of the COURGETTE (all green & yellow).

Did I say that it’s a wonderful time of year…?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...