It’s been such a grey day today, much more November than late July, so this evening I got out the spare demijohns, funnel, sieve & siphon & set too with the redcurrant & gooseberry wine to take them to their respective next stages.
The gooseberry first, which needed racking off – the sediment is thick at the bottom, & the wine translucent. It was the work of a minute to siphon the good stuff into a new demijohn, then I gave it a good shake to de-gas it, then covered it & I’ll now leave it for its final settling.
Then to the redcurrant wine which has been fermenting looking pink & frothy in its two buckets – I put the sieve in the funnel & poured the buckets into each of two demijohns.
Even with the pips & pulp out the way, the volume is still slightly more than a gallon in total, so I split it evenly & popped an airlock on each, wrapped round each with a tea towel (to exclude the light so to keep the delicious colour) & they are now chuckling away in a rigorous ferment.