Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Monday, July 13, 2009

Potatoes & anti-Pessimism!

Intermittent drizzle at the Hill this evening, but it was still nice enough to go & pick some sweetpeas, PEAS (Lancashire lad), a few final BROAD BEANS (barry plot 19), to sow a seed tape of CARROTS (early nantes) & to dig the rest of the first early POTATOES (lady cristl). The tubers are rather larger than your traditional new potatoes – in fact three plants gave me this hefty trugful weighing in at about 6lb.

Thinking that I saw retired Maureen’s car heading up to the clubhouse & wanting to give her the redcurrant containers back, I headed up there when I’d finished to try & find her. It wasn’t Maureen’s car, though, it was Reg-next-plot & Mrs Reg going for the evening’s entertainment – a jazz band.

Once furnished with a drink, I went across to say hello, & also to Lionel (by the gate) who was there with them.

Lionel asked how my purple peas tasted – “well…rather better cooked than raw”, I admitted, to amusement all round. I wasn’t fooling anyone – we all know that peas straight from the pod should melt in the mouth, although I did redeem myself with the suggestion of excellent mushy peas from the purple pods. I didn’t mention that they would be purple mushy peas – thought that might be a bit of an innovation too far.

The conversation turned to the potato-in-a-growbag competition which Reg has organised – I said “I don't think that Reg thinks that mine will come to much”, to which Mrs Reg said dismissively, “oh, you don’t want to take any notice of what Reg thinks!” with a grin.

I like Mrs Reg.

4 comments:

  1. Mrs Reg obviously has experience!

    I like to find a few large new potaotes. They make the world's best 'real' chips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conversation last week with elderly neighbour, moderately experienced veg grower . . . had just dug up three haulms and the crop underneath was pitiful, therefore your potatoes with not as much top growth as Reg's might be just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am VERY curious as to how these potatoes turn out! It's not long until weigh day on the day of the Show - the Entry Form is apparently out now, so much poring over that soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...