Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Generosity!

How kind people are!

First of all I received a parcel in the post containing three good sized comfrey roots & leaves from Bilbo – a white flowered native comfrey, which doesn’t grow either as tall, or as voraciously as the blue flowered comfrey I’ve been used to seeing.

The roots had a good number of familiar pointed oval hairy leaves, & I potted them up straight away into terracotta pots with good drainage gravel, multipurpose compost & gave them a good watering to settle the roots & put them in a shady nook – although they have flopped in an alarming manner this evening, I have the courage of my convictions & I’m sure that they will perk up in their new surroundings some 300 miles south of their home.

Then I had a phone call from cheery Brian & Pauline asking if I would still like some gooseberries for making wine. “We’ll leave three big punnets for you in the mini greenhouse if you would like them – we’ve got loads already.” And when I went to collect them they were ready picked & in punnets.

Having a look at my flowering sweetpeas, I saw retired Maureen for a chat who said in the course of conversation “you don’t know anyone who would like some redcurrants, do you? There really is only so much redcurrant jelly you can make, & there are loads – the one thing that has come really good so far this year.”

Well, thinking how lovely last year's redcurrant wine was, I didn’t need asking twice, & offered her some wine when its made, & gave her some of the sweetpeas I was just cutting as a thank you.

Just brilliant!

3 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed the comfrey will pick up, otherwise we'll come up with a plan B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what it's all about eh? If everyone swapped their surplus what a lot of different things we would all have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll put a pic up when the comfrey is out of intensive care, Bilbo - I have every faith!

    Yes, what a lot of different things we would have, Flum - although everyone at the Hill is after my prolific purple podded peas at the mo!

    I'll make seed freely available for next year, of course - let's bet on how many converts I can get out of the 78 plotholders!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...