Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Midsummer!

The longest day today, & a cooler one too – I waited until later to see if it would rain, but none was forthcoming so I went to the Hill in order to pick something for tea, & to water the tomatoes.


I went via mums where I planted out some salmon flowered peas (courtesy of Flummery at Veg Heaven) & some runner beans in her little veg patch, with strict instructions to leave a few pods on the peas to save for next year.


At the Hill I watered the squash, tomatoes & beans then picked the first of the PEAS (hsl newick) – which I just managed to resist eating there & then – some SWISS CHARD (bright lights) & BROAD BEANS (barry plot 19).


Home for a late tea with all of the above cooked with the potatoes (dunluce) that I dug the other day & a couple of fabulously succulent Welsh lamb chops, then come bedtime when it was still bright in the sky, the cats reacted exactly as I did as a child when called in to go to bed when it was still light – very sulkily indeed.

3 comments:

  1. Be careful Hazel, if you keep posting such delicious looking trays of food you might find uninvited Hobbits turning up for supper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My salmon flowered peas are in flower now - a glorious sight. Must blog them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You would be a welcome guest, Bilbo, although you will have your very own produce soon enough!

    I'd love to see a pic of the salmon flowered peas, Flum, so I can show mum what she'll be getting in a few weeks time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...