Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Is Reg-next-plot Right?

I cycled to the Hill this evening, & got my breath back as I chatted to novice neighbour Jody - he was cutting his first courgette, which I thought rather impressive.

On the advice of Reg-next-plot, I forked up the shallots, & as I did so my eyes strayed to my potatoes-in-a-growbag – it looks alright to me, I must say. Mind you, wandering around the site later there are bags others with more top growth, but that doesn’t mean they have more spuds in there, no siree!

I picked PEAS (hsl newick) & BROAD BEANS (barry plot 19), STRAWBERRIES & a few RASPBERRIES, then dug up another POTATO (dunluce). I was delighted to see the first of the FRENCH BEANS (early warwick) not just in flower, but a couple of baby beans forming.

Then I had a brainwave – because the gooseberries that I had from cheery Brian & Pauline didn’t quite weigh enough for the batch of wine I have planned, I had thought to buy a punnet of gooseberries (£1.99 in Sainsbury’s!!) to make up the shortfall.

However, I pulled three stout sticks of rhubarb to add in instead – the rhubarb won’t be as sweet as that pulled earlier in the year, but I’m hoping that the sharpness will blend in well with the gooseberries.

I'm looking forward to tasting the results!

5 comments:

  1. Top growth isn't directly related to spud weight Hazel. Variety can have a lot to do with it too. Are you comparing like with like in this competition or did you get to choose your own spud?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've all been supplied with 3 rocket tubers (not my favourite, but there you go) and so we should be comparing like with like.

    There is one variable - we were recommended the time to plant, but some will have planted earlier in the hope of a larger yield, I'm sure.

    The day of the Show (9 Aug) is weigh day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fingers crossed then. Shame it's so hard to garden with crossed fingers! Plenty of water and a bit of feed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are some good organic potato fertilisers on sale these days ..might be worth a try :O)

    That wine sounds good .. .Still trying to persuade my McD to let me have half of the warm airing cupboard :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re: potato feed - novice neighbour Jody said he'd put some in the toolshed, so I'll perk up my spuds with a handful of that.

    I think it's called Vitax V4 - not sure if that's organic, but I'll stretch a point in this instance, I think!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...