Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Monday, June 29, 2009

Hurrah for Retired Maureen!

A very close & humid day today, but sunshine too, so off I cycled to the Hill where I saw retired Maureen. “I’ve been picking redcurrants – come & help yourself!” she invited.

Thunder rumbled ominously & we picked half a bucket each before having to retire to the shelter of her car as the rain came down.

We chatted for half an hour without let up, & she kindly offered to run me home – it still coming down cats & dogs. I wheeled the bike up to the cover of the polytunnel, & by then soaked through*, I gratefully accepted the lift.

Of course five minutes after getting home, the sky cleared…

*that's not hair-a-bit-damp, wish-I-had-a-brolly soaked through, this was wring-out-your-clothes, dunked-in-a-pond soaked through.

2 comments:

  1. I can't help feeling that a bit of a good soak wouldn't do East Yorkshire any harm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm absolutely sure that you're right - we've had two extreme deluges within a 10 day period, and the difference it has made is obvious.

    Assuming that blight doesn't do for the spuds, they'll be MASSIVE!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...