Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Sunday, June 07, 2009

Rain Again...

The rain kept up overnight & until late afternoon, but then the sun came out for a little while so I nipped to the Hill - even though the ground was far to sodden to actually do anything - & listened to everything growing.

As I pondered the potatoes (some have flowers, so I’ll be eating new potatoes soon!), cheery Brian & Pauline came by, & gave me a good tip with regard to storing radish (in an airtight container/plastic bag in the fridge) so that they don’t go soft, & they also said not to pick lettuce or radish when wet as they would more than likely go mildewy in the fridge.

“As it’s so wet, we can’t pick the radish, & they have come ready at once – please go & pick some if you are here in the week!” they invited, “but something’s eaten all our peas, so we’ll have to sow more.”

Being somewhat of an expert in pigeon-damaged peas, I showed them mine which I thought were ruined but Reg-next-plot said to leave them as they would grow back, which they are now starting to do. “Oh! Maybe ours will be alright too!” beamed Pauline, & off they went.

I had a good look to see whether any of the PEAS (hsl newick) or BROAD BEANS (barry plot 19) were ready for picking – which they are not quite - however the SWISS CHARD (bright lights) looked as if it would stand me pinching a couple of leaves of each plant, & I took that home for tea instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...